370 Bayview Drive, 3rd Floor
Barrie ON L4N 7L3
Respiratory Educator (RN or RRT) – Contract
0.6 FTE (3 days per week) until March 31, 2022
0.4 FTE (2 days per week) until October 2022
(Available positions may be combined)
The Respiratory Educator (RE) works as part of a comprehensive team to provide excellent care to patients with chronic lung health conditions (Asthma, COPD) and to help patients quit smoking through our smoking cessation program. Care is provided through sharing of information, treatment options and mechanisms available to help patients manage their respiratory diseases. The RE also establishes strong communication pathways between patients, family physicians, specialists and other community resources.
- Provide care and education to adult and paediatric patients, families and care providers using behaviour management techniques
- Conduct spirometry tests to help diagnosis and assess the severity of respiratory dysfunction
- Apply the latest best-practice standards to improve the health of patients diagnosed with a respiratory illness
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team to enhance the care of patients
- Conduct individual and family assessments to identify strengths, resources, psychological factors, socioeconomic impacts, educational needs and barriers to self-management
- Develop, implement and revise customized self-management plans to meet individual needs in collaboration with the patient, their family physician, and other health care practitioners
- Maintain accurate records of patients' therapy using electronic medical records
- Facilitate, and possibly develop, group education sessions, including pulmonary rehabilitation program
- Analyze the effectiveness of the program and help to identify any unmet needs
- Serve as a resource to the team and community by providing information about Asthma, COPD and smoking cessation
Education, Qualifications and Skills
- Current Ontario Regulated Healthcare Professional with current registration to applicable governing body (i.e. RRT or RN with background/special interest in Asthma/COPD/Smoking cessation)
- 3 years experience in related field
- Certified Asthma, COPD or Respiratory Educator preferred
- Strong knowledge of cardiopulmonary disorders, including symptoms, treatment alternatives, drug properties and interactions and preventative care measures
- Aware of best practice guidelines as they relate to lung health
- Willingness and ability to teach/train patients and members of the interdisciplinary team as required
- Able to work evenings as required
- Formal smoking cessation training (such as TEACH) an asset
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are asked to forward their cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for applications is December 12, 2021. For more information on our team please visit our website at www.barriefht.ca. We thank all applicants for their interest in BCFHT, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Barrie and Community Family Health Team supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with a disability. Personal information contained in applications will be used for recruitment purposes and collected as per Freedom of Information (F.O.I.) And Protection of Privacy Act, 1987.
The Barrie and Community Family Health Team is committed to improving access and opportunities for individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require a specific accommodation during the application, interview or recruitment stage, please contact our HR Coordinator by phone at 705-721-0370 x 2121, by fax at 705-725-4708 or by email at email@example.com noting Accessibility Inquiry in the subject line, in order for appropriate accommodations to be made.