379 Church Street
Markham ON L6B 0T1
The Registered Nurse/ Case Manager plays a dual role in the care and management of patients at Health for All Family Health Team, Markham:
- Primary care nursing within the full scope of nursing practice according to the standards set by the Registered Nurses Association of Ontario (2 days per week)
- Case management for patients with complex care needs to ensure their successful navigation through the health system (2 days per week)
As a Primary Care Nurse:
- Works in collaboration with interdisciplinary team to safely and effectively provide and support appropriate primary nursing care to clients within the full scope of practice.
- • Assists physicians as well as inter-professional healthcare providers and administrative staff in the day-to-day clinical management of patients
- Provides health education, health promotion, counselling and disease prevention to patients and their families across the continuum of care including immunization, chronic disease management, well baby and family care.
- Performs telephone triage and monitoring within the clinic setting.
- Performs technical nursing interventions including injections, changing dressings, wart treatment, ear syringing, and other procedures.
- Sterilizes and maintains medical equipment
- Supports Health for All’s healthcare programs, including Diabetes, Smoking Cessation, Mental Health and Complex Care
As a Case Manager:
- Through a broad knowledge of the local community health and social systems of care, assists in planning, coordinating and delivering services to complex patients.
- Helps patients to navigate the system of care that best addresses their health and social needs.
- Works effectively with the interdisciplinary team to improve access to internal and external resources for patients.
- Consults with patients to assess their health needs, to overcome system barriers and to identify potential solutions that positively impact their care.
- In collaboration with the inter-professional health team, assists in the development, coordination and delivery of individualized patient care plans in consultation with their families and significant others.
- Liaises with members of the healthcare team including staff and other providers to promote continuity of patient care.
- Continuously evaluates care plan and amends them to meet the patient’s changing needs.
Duties Common to both sets of Responsibilities:
- Models the mission and values of Health for All
- Communicates effectively with team members, patients and families as well as community partners
- Maintains the confidentiality of team, personnel and patient information
- Uses patient records to document care
- Promotes awareness of Health for All’s services and programs
- Participates in inter-professional committees, clinical projects and studies as required
- Participates in the education of inter-professional team members and Family Medicine Residents
- Maintains and develops professional competence through ongoing professional development and self-directed learning to ensure relevance, skills and knowledge
- Performs other associated duties as required
Scope of Practice
- Established by the College of Nurses of Ontario’s “Practice Standards” (www.cno.org), the Nursing Act (1991) and the Regulated Health Professions Act (1991)
- BScN or BN
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as a registered nurse in a primary care setting
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as a case manager in a primary care setting
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are invited to submit applications to email@example.com. Please insert “RN/case manager” in the e-mail subject line. The Health for all FHT welcomes all applicants, however only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.