65 Dundas Street E
Paris ON N3L 3H1
As a key member of the PrimaCare Community Family Health Team (PCCFHT), and an integral part of an Interprofessional health care team, the Physician Assistant (PA) will deliver care in accordance with PCCFHT policies, professional standards, and medical directives. You will perform routine clinical duties and ensure that the clinical needs of the PCCFHT patients and physicians are met.
The Physician Assistant (PA) reports to, and is responsible to, the PCCFHT Executive Director. All acts are conducted under the direction and supervision of a registered Physician, and in accordance with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario’s policy on delegation. The supervising physician is responsible for the medical care provided to the patient by the PA and can only delegate medical acts that are within their own scope of clinical practice.
The PA does not direct the activities of staff or a function without direction of FHT decision makers, more specifically the supervising physician. The PA is not an autonomous health care provider and cannot act as the principal medical decision maker.
- Assess patient health care needs, discuss test results, and respond to questions pertaining to health promotion and disease prevention.
- For patient appointments, conduct patient interviews and take medical histories, perform physical examinations, and interpret findings.
- Maintain the medical record alert system to recall patients for health promotion, disease prevention follow-up.
- Maintain the medical record Health Maintenance Plans to ensure patient compliance to timelines for health promotion and disease prevention programs.
- Administer and record immunizations and allergy injections.
- Administer clinical procedures such as suture removal, skin and wound dressings, TB testing, wart treatment, and ear-syringing, etc.
- Perform blood pressure follow-ups, assessing response to medications, educating patients, and promoting health through blood pressure management.
- Complete pre-operative and other physical forms as far as possible.
- Maintain accurate, concise, and confidential documentation pertaining to patient history and encounter data.
- Making referrals to appropriate community and professional services (e.g., home and community care, mental health, nutrition, dental care, physical therapy, and palliative care services)
- Work collaboratively with the health care team in the development, implementation and monitoring of chronic disease management programs around key health issues such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, and obesity, etc.
- Develop and hone collaborative community relationships to facilitate patient access to services upon physician/health care team request.
- Communicate ideas or concerns to the health care team. Participate in problem solving to enhance patient care.
- Working with a primary physician to ensure that complex patients are being assisted in all areas of life, as necessary.
- Assist in the training and development of new staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Graduate of an Accredited Physician Assistant Program.
- Certified or eligible to be certified through the Physician Assistant Certification Council of Canada (PACCC) or the NCCPA (National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants) for American educated/trained PAs.
- Minimum 5 years experience as a Physician Assistant working in a primary care or acute care setting preferred.
- Experience working within a Family Health Team preferred.
- Excellent oral/written skills.
- Ability to work effectively with all members of the health care team.
- Knowledge and proficiency in current, evidence-based methods and practices of primary care delivery.
- Ability to develop strategies that successfully meet the needs of diverse patient, family, and provider population.
- Proficiency in the use of computer hardware and software (especially Practice Solutions).
- Ability to prioritize tasks, flexible and responsive to changing organizational needs.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 21st, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. While we thank all applicants, only those under consideration will be contacted for an interview.