22 Mill Street West
P.O. Box 760
Tilbury ON N0P 2L0
The Nurse Practitioner is a member of the primary health care team responsible for providing primary health care while emphasizing holistic care, health promotion and disease prevention. The Nurse Practitioner works as part of the multi-disciplinary team to address the health concerns of the community. She/he is responsible for her/his practice.
The Nurse Practitioner is accountable to the Executive Director on behalf of the Board of Directors. The Nurse Practitioner is also accountable to the College of Nurses of Ontario.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To provide primary health care to clients taking into account environmental, social, psychological and medical risk factors of the patient.
- To work within the scope of practice set out by the College of Nurses for nurse practitioners registered in the extended class.
- To work with and refer to other members of the care team (physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses, community health nurse, social workers, health promotion staff, occupational therapist, nutritionist, community workers and others) to ensure clients receive comprehensive, competent and appropriate health care.
- To assess clients for routine health and illness care and to prescribe treatment.
- To coordinate and conduct sexual health clinics, cervical screening clinics and other clinics as needed.
- To consult and/or refer for further assessment or treatment for the client when appropriate and/or beyond the nurse practitioner scope of practice.
- To be accessible to clients during the hours of service scheduled by the Family Health Team, at both on and off-site locations and to provide home visits, as required.
- To act as a health advocate for clients.
- To participate in the development, planning and evaluation of health promotion programs.
- To counsel and educate individuals on health and lifestyle issues and to evaluate the effectiveness of education and counseling approaches and strategies.
- To facilitate health promotion programs which promote mental and physical health.
- To identify areas where development of protocols and procedures are needed to improve client services or to promote more effective staff functioning.
- To keep accurate records of clients’ visits, using the charting format, in legible writing that will facilitate other practitioners in continuing client care.
- To record encounters, including telephone encounters, as appropriate for data entry and analysis.
- To be responsible for lab work for her/his own clients.
- To assist other nursing staff in administrative and clinical duties if required.
- Works in a manner that preserves confidentiality
- Contribute to maintaining a professional and supportive culture that is committed to delivering superior service to all patients and families that we serve.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills with all internal and external contacts
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional associations.
- Contribute to the positive image of the organization. This includes: maintain a positive job attitude and working relationships with people inside and outside the organization. Demonstrate willingness to assist others in a team-oriented environment. Keep abreast of major issues affecting the TDFHT and the key players involved in these issues.
Qualifications and Education:
- Nurse Practitioner certificate.
- Registration in the Extended Class, Ontario College of Nurses
- Comprehensive working knowledge of provincial and local strategies for improving population health through primary care reform.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in a community-based primary care model.
- Current Certificate of Competence in good standing within his/her professional college.
How to apply
Please apply to posted vacancies by submitting a letter requesting consideration and a current resume to the Human Resources and Finance Manager by the deadline indicated.
Human Resources and Finance Manager
Tilbury District Family Health Team
Tilbury ON N0P 2L0