833 Coxwell Avenue
Toronto ON M4C 3E8
The South East Toronto Family Health Team (SETFHT) is a primary health care clinic undergoing exciting transformation in providing Interprofessional health care services to our patients. As an integral member of our FHT, the Nurse Practitioner uses her/his expanded scope of practice to assess, treat and educate patients. This is achieved through working collaboratively with a broad range of interprofessional health care professionals and SETFHT physicians. SETFHT is looking for a Nurse Practitioner to fill a Maternity Leave starting in early November and running for 12-18 months.
- The Nurse Practitioner reports and is responsible to the SETFHT Executive Director. Clinical decision making outside the scope of the Nurse Practitioner must be done in consultation with the SETFHT Lead Physician and/or physicians of SETFHT.
- Does not direct the activities of staff or a function without direction of FHT decision makers.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Nurse Practitioner is required to work co-operatively with all members of the health care team in the promotion of patient health and prevention of disease. Job duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conduct periodic health assessments including taking an appropriate family and health history, conducting physical examinations, screening for chronic disease, and cancer screening
- Diagnose, treat and prescribe within the scope of Registered Nurse, Extended Class, while adhering to evidence-based practice
- Monitor stable chronic illnesses
- Order and interpret diagnostic imaging reports within the scope of RN, Extended Class
- Implement appropriate health promotion and disease prevention strategies for patients and families
- Gather and document patient and statistical information as required
- Arrange physician consultation if illness or treatment is outside NP’s scope of practice
- Arrange specialist referrals and appointments in consultation with physician
- Liaise with community agencies as required
- Participate actively in the care for patients with complex needs including home visits and participation in Interprofessional case rounds
- Experience in a Nurse Practitioner role, preferably in a community setting
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario, RN (Extended Class)
- Strong knowledge and understanding of primary health care and chronic disease prevention and management, preferably in a community setting
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively in an interprofessional setting, including strong team work and communication skills
- Experience in identifying learning needs and adult education techniques
- Demonstrated leadership, critical thinking, organizational and communication skills
- Must possess a dependable, consistent and reliable work record
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and impartiality
- Capacity to adapt quickly to a fast paced, dynamic work environment
Skills, Knowledge Requirement
- Excellent people management and interpersonal skills
- Strong communication skills both oral and written
- Strong problem solving and organizational skills
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize, manage time effectively and be flexible in a very active work environment
- Exercises good judgment
- High degree of professionalism, ethics and confidentiality
- Competence with Microsoft Office suite of software
- Experience with clinical management system (CMS), preferably Practice Solutions’ Suite.
Compensation is based on experience and guidelines provided by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care for this role; this position will receive 8% pay in lieu of benefits. Hours of work are Monday to Friday, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm with one evening shift required, working 12:00 pm – 8:00 pm.
Thank you for your interest in the South East Toronto Family Health Team. Only those candidates selected will be contacted for an interview. No telephone or email inquiries, please. SETFHT supports a respectful and inclusive work environment for all. SETFHT encourages qualified applicants of all ages, races, colours, ethnic origins, religions, abilities, gender identities and sexual orientations to apply. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process and candidates invited for an interview are encouraged to inform Human Resources in confidence of their accommodation requirements.
How to Apply
Applicants should quote Job: 1.0 FTE Nurse Practitioner Contract
Contact by: e-mail only
Location: 840 Coxwell Avenue, Toronto, M4C 5T2
Job Contact Information
Human Resources, South East Toronto Family Health Team
Please forward cover letter and resume by September 3, 2019