135 Queens Plate Dr.
Toronto ON M9W 6V1
Mental Health Counsellor works within a multi-disciplinary team to provide prevention, assessment, referral, clinical counselling and follow-up services to individuals and family members affected by mental health and addictions.
Reporting to Executive Director, the Mental Health Counsellor provides individual, family or a group setting counselling. Education will be provided to individuals and groups in the community with a focus on mental health and addiction related topics, such as substance use, anxiety, depression etc. The Mental Health Counsellor will be familiar with other services and resources in the community and work closely to provide information and support when required.
- Provide mental health counselling and support to individuals, families and groups in the community.
- Provide outreach counselling within the community
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of crisis management and impact of trauma on mental health
- Engage in case management activities, making referrals to outside agencies, physicians and other resources to enhance service provision and address patients’ concerns
- Maintain strict confidentiality guidelines regarding all patient’s conversations and referrals
- Utilize the Electronic Management Record (EMR) system to document all patient’s encounters in a timely matter
- Coordinate and facilitate educational workshops on mental health related topics
- Assist individuals to identify their need for treatment
- Advocates on behalf of patients and their care
- Monitors patient goals and outcomes through ongoing assessments and documentation of treatment process
- Liaise with community agencies and supports when developing programs
- Prepare evaluations and analyze feedback results
- Actively participates in the functioning of the team (Team Meetings, Quality Improvement etc.)
- Complies with all Privacy Legislations
- Maintains current discipline specific standards of practice
- Maintains awareness and understanding of current Mental Health legislation
- Accesses formal/informal supervision or peer consultation
- Maintains registration with appropriate college or HPRAC
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum Education: MSW, Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or a Social Science, or Regulated Health Professional
- *Registration with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Services or appropriate regulatory body and must carry own liability insurance
- Minimum 1 year supervised experience working with individuals struggling with mental health issues
- Knowledge of community resources, treatment centers, social service networks and organizations
- Clinical experience working in the community desired
- Basic knowledge of psychiatric disorders and human development
- Appreciation for and personal flexibility to function within the unique nature of a primary care office setting (i.e. episodic care, health promotion, chronic care, home visits etc.)
- Commitment to an integrated model of practice and demonstrates skill in collaborative approach to care with professionals of other disciplines
- Ability to work independently, as well as an effective member of a multidisciplinary team
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to adjust language and terminology to suit the individual patient or patient group (including cultural sensitivity)
- Strong time management, prioritization and innovation skills
- Ability to participate in and/or implement health promotion, education and self-management strategies
Hours of Work
- 20 hours a week
- Details of how the hours will be worked are to be established by the Executive Director and will be based on the patient population needs and are subjected to change as needed
- Salary and vacation details will be discussed during the interview and will be detailed in the employment letter
Mental Health Counsellor Job Description (Part-Time)
This position is temporary maternity leave coverage (Anticipated start date: January 2021)
Woodbine Family Health Team is a dynamic team of professionals including 5 Family Physicians, Dietitian, Pharmacist, Registered Nurse, Mental Health Counsellor and administrative support.
They are currently looking for a Part-Time Mental Health Counsellor to work with their team and cover a maternity leave. Reporting to the Executive Director, you will be asked to work 20 hours per week. Salary and further details will be discussed during the interview process.
Full and detailed job description is included for your reference.
Please forward your most recent resume with a cover letter by Friday, December 11th, 2020 to
firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 416-342-5148
Thank you for all who apply. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.