379 Church St
Markham ON L6B 0T1
Reports to: Day to day monitoring, supervision and leadership is provided by the Administrative Team Leader
Overall supervision is provided by the Executive Director
The Medical Receptionist is responsible for smooth operation of the front desk and patient service experience of the Family Health Team/Family Health Organization. The Medical Receptionist will welcome staff and visitors to the unit, answer telephones and manage clerical functions and support services in order to allow the physicians, residents and the other inter-professional team members to focus on providing quality care to all patients.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrate a commitment to the vision, mission and objectives of the Family Health Team
- Welcome and greet patients to the unit in a professional and friendly manner
- Register new patients and enter all demographic and health card information accurately in an electronic medical record
- Answer multi-line telephone system, books appointments, organizes and distributes messages, faxes, mail and lab results to all staff
- Notify patients of appointments, recalls referrals and diagnostic tests as required and necessary
- Book tests for patients when necessary; takes responsibility for unit filing and record keeping
- Type letters, memos and reports, including some transcription as needed
- Maintain confidentiality of all data and information
- Maintain a hospitable, neat and tidy waiting room and clinic areas
- Scan results, consult notes, labs, and other documents into the EMR as required
- Address patients concerns and complaints on the phone and in person as they arise according to policy & guidelines
- Receive payments from and issue receipt for patients for non-insured services and/or program registration
- Identify, recommends and facilitates implementation of change to improve patient service and unit operation within the scope of clerical responsibility.
- Cooperates in the orientation of new staff to the functioning of the front desk and communication systems
- Other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned and/or required
- In the performance of the above duties, is responsible for maintaining a smooth, positive working relationship with all stakeholders and for imparting to the public a favorable impression of the Family Health Team/Family Health Organization
Professional Education/Experience Required:
- Minimum formal education required:
- High school graduate
- Graduate of a Medical Secretarial Program and or related office administration course preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Positive attitude, good judgment skills, articulate, diplomatic, team player
- Ability to multi-task and set priorities while managing a high volume of phone calls and daily transactions
- Creative, innovative and enthusiastic
- Adaptive and responsive to changes in work volumes, responsibilities and scope of practice
- Minimum 2 years required clerical experience in a physician practice or hospital setting
- Knowledge of medical terminology an asset
- Proficient at Microsoft Office & EMR (preferably Telus PS Suites EMR)
- Ability to communicate in a language shared by our patients and evident in the community (example: Mandarin, Cantonese).
- Flexibility in working days, evenings and Saturday Urgent Care Clinic
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume in confidence by email to email@example.com; quoting Medical Receptionist Position.
If you require accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process, please advise the Health For All FHT by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
While they thank all interested candidates, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Due to the high volume of applicants, please do not request receipt of your application, or call the office to inquire.