101 Queensway West, 5th Floor
Mississauga ON L5B 2P7
The Summerville Family Health Team (SFHT) is in search of a dynamic Health Promotion Specialist whose professional skills will contribute to the improvement of health outcomes through inter-disciplinary collaboration and partnership engagement.
This position functions as a program developer, consultant, educator and facilitator for all SFHT health education programs. Key to this role is the identification of organizational patient program needs followed by the development, implementation and evaluation of educational programs.
Apart from program specific responsibilities, the Health Promotion Specialist provides supports and participates in SFHT educational initiatives, working groups, or committees, as required.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Plan and develop strategies, projects and programs to address the needs of Summerville’s diverse patient population, with a particular focus on prevention and management of chronic disease.
- Lead and participate in program recruitment and delivery.
- Collaborate with other interdisciplinary health professionals and family physicians within the Family Health Team, as well as external partners where appropriate, to develop and implement health promotion activities and programs.
- Monitor and evaluate initiatives and program effectiveness on a regular basis, including the collection and reporting of activity statistics and measures.
- Build, promote and maintain strong partnerships with other Family Health Teams, Community Health Centres, institutions (i.e. public health, hospitals), service agencies and organizations.
- Identify training, tools, and material deficiencies within existing programs and develop and/or recommend improvements.
- Maintain appropriate communication with various departments within the Family Health Team and participate on various internal committees.
- Maintain and communicate accurate and current initiative information on an ongoing basis.
- Assist with the design and coordination of an efficient patient referral process for the inter-professional team.
- Ensure that work is underpinned by sound, up-to-date knowledge of health promotion theory and make sure that projects/programs are based on current evidence based practice.
- Facilitate the efficient function of the department and the attainment of organizational program goals.
- Develop and lead a robust patient engagement and patient advisory strategy.
- Write and produce leaflets, posters, brochures and other promotional materials to aid health promotion in different environments.
- Master’s Degree in Health Promotion or equivalent combination of education and experience; Bachelor’s Degree in Health Promotion or related discipline with experience
- Prior demonstrated experience in adult education and understanding and application of adult learning principles
- Experience in program development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Demonstrated knowledge of patient/family centred care and quality of life frameworks
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills required combined with the ability to prepare, teach and coach others in a group setting
- Certified Diabetes Educator or Smoking Cessation certification considered an asset
- Experience in project management
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a primary care or community-based health care setting
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively within an interdisciplinary team
- Ability to work with a wide range of interest groups and community partners
- Ability to work flexible hours including some evenings and weekends
- Proficiency in the use of computers and various software applications including Microsoft Office
- Prior experience with and knowledge of electronic medical record is an asset.
To apply for this vacancy please submit a resume with covering letter by email to: