2130 North Park Dr. Unit #238
Brampton ON L6S 0C9
Reporting To: Executive Director
The Central Brampton Family Health Team (CBFHT) provides primary health care, including chronic disease management and health promotion and disease prevention, to a rostered population of patients in Brampton and surrounding communities. The FHT utilizes an interdisciplinary team of health care professionals who work in a collaborative model of care.
The Health Educator (HE) plays an integral role in the care of the patients of the Central Brampton Family Health Team. The role of the HE in the Central Brampton FHT requires a thorough knowledge of the development and implementation of patient-focused health education programs which may be delivered in either one-one, a community-based workshop setting or both. A solid understanding of adult education principles and the capacity to adapt programs based on patient demographics and need underpin success in this role. Effective presentation skills and the ability to build programs from the bottom up are key skills in this role. The role also requires a high level of interpersonal skills to deal with patients and their families in a holistic and compassionate manner.
The Health Educator works closely with other members of the Family Health Team to ensure that the patients we support are aware of the importance of a healthy lifestyles, nutrition, exercise, risk avoidance, health screening and immunizationto achieve optimal health.
Assessment and Treatment
- Work collaboratively with Program Coordinator and program team members to manage the needs of patients and to ensure that patients are screened for their level of understanding about their disease or health condition and the benefits of education.
- Determine health promotion priorities and develop comprehensive, patient centered care plans through clinical assessment.
- Provide patient education and counselling on a variety of lifestyle topics
- Experience performing orthopedic assessments for the purpose of developing customized therapeutic exercise programs ( both rehabilitation and general fitness programs) for a variety of conditions
- Play an active role in the CBFHT Diabetes Management Program, Geriatric Program, Metabolic Syndrome Program, and Healthy Baby Programs.
- Through collaboration with the allied health care team, develop and implement comprehensive patient education programs focused on specific health topics including diabetes, lung health, hypertension, well baby and mother, geriatric health, and osteoporosis
- Identify educational resources including, but not limited to, internet-based tools, brochures, videos and lectures to support patient self-education.
- Ensure that all FHT members are aware of the educational resources that are available to patients/clients.
- Develop follow-up programs and services to ensure that patients are provided with educational materials.
- Help facilitate the incorporation of proven strategies for individual family physician practices to provide more effective care delivery.
- Participate as a team member in the development and delivery of targeted programs including but not limited to chronic disease, health prevention, child and women’s health.
- Collect data as required for Quality Improvement and Program target performance measures.
- Provide timely and informative reports as directed and requested by the Executive Director.
- Participate in team building, program development and improvement activities.
- Participate in staff meetings, to exchange ideas, receive mutual support and monitor program outcomes as well as present case studies.
- Assist in the development and implementation of the clinical model and guidelines for collaborative care as required.
- Comply with established personnel policies, procedures, standards and guidelines for operation.
- Identify gaps and needed modifications in services.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Registered Kinesiologist (R Kin)
- Additional university or community college programs specializing in community education, health promotion, adult education, marketing, communications or community engagement an asset
- Practical experience in the development of health education programs
- A solid understanding of chronic disease etiology and treatment options
- Orthopedic assessment skills and exercise program development for chronic disease conditions and musculoskeletal injuries
- Demonstrated skills in program planning, implementation and evaluation
- Evidence of experience in individual and group presentation skills
- Knowledge of community resources connected to the provision of health promotion and illness prevention related services
- Knowledge of client-centered philosophy, change management, basic principles and practices of community service delivery and chronic disease management models
- Ability to work effectively, both independently and as part of an inter-disciplinary team
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to change
- Computer skills
- Experience with Oscar EMR an asset
- CDE designation or working towards CDE an asset
- Ability to work flexible hours (some evening work may be required)
- Possess a valid Ontario Driver’s License
Interested, qualified candidates should send their current resume and cover letter to Elvira Trichilo, HR Manager