107-6420 Beatty Line North
Fergus ON N1M 2W3
The Upper Grand Family Health Team (UGFHT) offers the opportunity to join an innovative, community-based primary health care team serving the Arthur, Fergus, and Elora areas. We are looking for a talented team player to join us as we continue to provide a model of excellence in rural primary health care.
The role of the Nurse Specialist is to provide a full range of primary care services with a focus on disease prevention and health promotion. Working in collaboration with an interdisciplinary team, the Geriatric Nurse Specialist (RN) will share expertise and knowledge of health promotion and disease prevention and will be responsible for the planning, coordination and delivery of services to older adults, their families and caregivers.
The Geriatric Nurse is a part of a small interdisciplinary team and are required to be a leader in the Geriatric system inside and outside the FHT. You are representing the primary care needs of geriatric patients in the community. You are in the unique position of providing all administrative and clinical responsibilities for FHT Geriatrics Program. A detailed job description is available upon request.
- Baccalaureate of Science in Nursing required
- Registered with the College of Nurses of Ontario. RNAO membership required
- Minimum three years demonstrated experience in a primary health care (family medicine) or community health care setting preferred
- P.I.E.C.E.S. training, Primary Care Memory Clinic training/experience, falls prevention education/training and demonstrated experience and/or additional training in gerontological nursing would be considered strong assets
- Must have some knowledge and experience in administering a variety of Geriatric Screening tools such as MOCA/MMSE, GDS, CFS, etc.
- Knowledge and competency in current, evidence-based practice standards of geriatric care
- Knowledge of local Geriatric community resources and community agencies
- Ability to prioritize, manage time effectively and be flexible in a very active work environment
- Strong interest and experience in program development, implementation, facilitation and evaluation of health promotion, disease prevention and chronic disease management programs
- Able to function as a team player working collaboratively with other FHT staff and community partners
- Sound organizational, teaching and leadership skills
- Valid Ontario Driver’s license and access to own reliable vehicle
- Proficiency in the use of computer and communication system knowledge including e-mail and Electronic Medical Records (EMRs), OTN system, Ocean secure email, and e-faxing
- Occasional after-hours support as required
- Determine the need for, and the implementation of health promotion and prevention strategies for families and individual
- Maintain professional competence and remain current (e.g. evidenced-based care) through ongoing participation in professional development, FHT research projects, etc.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated skills in assessment, program development, implementation and evaluation of health promotion, disease prevention and chronic disease management programs
- Ability to keep confidential all information regarding patients, health care providers, employees, business operations and clinic/team functioning
- Professionalism displayed through mannerisms, attire and response to stressful situations
- Communication skills which reflect the ability to work well in a team environment while maintaining respect and attentiveness to patients and fellow team members
- Interpersonal skills to listen effectively and to train and help develop patients, new employees and students
- Problem solving skills to identify and effectively solve problems and to help patients and team members solve problems
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and résumé by Friday, June 25, 2021 to:
- Cohl Johnston, HR Manager
- Upper Grand Family Health Team
- Trailside Medical, 107-6420 Beatty Line N, Fergus ON N1M 2W3
- click here for e-mail
- Fax: (519) 843-7386
The Upper Grand Family Health Team supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. They encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with a disability. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates at any point in the selection process. Please direct questions and/or requests by e-mail (click here). They appreciate the interest of all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.