370 Bayview Drive
Barrie ON L4N 7L3
Chiropodist or Advanced Foot Care Nurse - Full Time (16 Month Contract)
The BCFHT is currently searching for a Chiropodist or Advanced Foot Care Nurse for the foot care program within our multidisciplinary team. This position reports to a Clinical Manager who manages a team of interdisciplinary health professionals. The Chiropodist/Advanced Foot Care Nurse will be responsible for triaging and implementing foot care services for FHT patients referred from primary care and existing patients within other BCFHT programs who meet referral guidelines, and providing education to staff. The range of service will include active treatment of acute pathological foot conditions, preventive and palliative foot care and the promotion of foot health. Patients will be encouraged to participate at all times, within their capabilities to accept the utmost responsibility for their own care.
This individual will work with a variety of clinics and programs within the BCFHT but the focus will be the Diabetes program, Aging Well Clinic, and LINKS Navigation Clinic. The Chiropodist/Advanced Foot Care Nurse will be encouraged to operate within their full scope of practice. The individual must be able to collaborate with all members of the health care team in the promotion of patient health and prevention of disease.
Core components/responsibilities of the role will include, but are not limited to:
- Understanding and collaborating with the individual clinical programs/services and interdisciplinary team members to provide foot care services and education as required
- Assessing and treating foot conditions and disorders in a timely manner
- Differentiating between disorders of the foot arising from systemic or general disease and those arising from local, structural and/or functional disorders
- Acting as a resource to other BCFHT program and team members and assist with the coordination of services as required
- Recognizing patients having conditions beyond their scope of practice and referring to other appropriate health care professionals
- Designing and implementing foot care plans based on presenting conditions and the patient’s individual needs, reinforcing and encouraging patient responsibility and participation in the care plan
- Providing foot care education on use of proper casting techniques for orthotic and off‐loading devices, providing general and preventative footwear education to patients and staff, and/or referring patients for footwear modification as required
- Communicating/presenting foot health education in a variety of settings to patients, inter-professional health care professionals (IHPs) or other individuals as needed
- Ensuring appropriate antiseptic techniques, safe procedures and isolation practices are maintained in the clinical setting
- Maintaining and upgrading knowledge and skills regarding new procedures, methods and equipment
Qualifications & Required Skills
- License/registration in good standing with the College of Chiropodists of Ontario
- Post secondary education in Chiropody
- Preferred completion of Bachelor of Science and Graduate Advanced Diploma of Health Sciences (Chiropody)
- Three (3) years of clinical experience, preferably within primary care
Advanced Foot Care Nurse:
- Registered member in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Certification from an accredited Advanced Foot Care course
- Three (3) years foot care experience working in a primary care or community-based setting
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with physicians, interdisciplinary healthcare providers and other community partners
- A strong understanding of current chiropody/podiatry best practices and guidelines
- Experience with an electronic medical record (ACCURO) preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong technical skills using the Microsoft Office Suite
Additional Job Requirements
- Must have a reliable vehicle with current insurance and ability to travel within the community as needed
- Must adhere to all BCFHT Policies and Procedures, including Occupational Health & Safety, WHMIS
We thank all applicants for their interest in BCFHT, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Barrie and Community Family Health Team supports diversity, equity and a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including women, visible minorities, aboriginal persons and persons with a disability. Personal information contained in applications will be used for recruitment purposes and collected as per Freedom of Information (F.O.I.) And Protection of Privacy Act, 1987.
The Barrie and Community Family Health Team is committed to improving access and opportunities for individuals with disabilities in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require a specific accommodation during the application, interview or recruitment stage, please contact our HR Coordinator by phone at 705-721-0370 x 2121, by fax at 705-725-4708 or by email at email@example.com noting Accessibility Inquiry in the subject line, in order for appropriate accommodations to be made.