This session was cancelled and will no longer be available at the AFHTO 2020 Conference
2. Integrating digital health and virtual care
- Release date: Thursday, October 8, 2020
- Style: TBA
- Focus: Practical (e.g. Presentation on how to implement programs and/or practices in the team environment)
- Target Audience: Leadership, Clinical providers
From this presentation participants will understand how health professionals can continue to provide treatment and rehabilitation services using a virtual platform. Participants will learn about the ADFHT Cardio-Pulmonary rehab program through class descriptions, lessons learned while developing the virtual model and patient outcomes achieved during the program. Participants will also have the opportunity to watch interviews with program participants, who will provide their perspective on the rehab program and how it is still possible to build strength, confidence, and improve health outcomes while using a virtual platform.
When the COVID-19 pandemic was declared the Arnprior and District Family Health Team,like many primary care teams, was required to suspend in-person group programming, including one of its core programs- the Cardio-Pulmonary Rehab program. This program typically receives referrals from the Ottawa Heart Institute, the Lung Health Network for Champlain as well as the many FHT physicians. As time went on and the Covid-19 pandemic continued, it became clear that the transition to virtual care would be necessary in order to continue to meet patient needs and the decision was made to trial running the rehab program virtually. A number of platforms were used to identify the one that best met the need. The program is now growing and the number of registered patients is steadily increasing. The ADFHT has received positive feedback from program participants and is continuing to identify ways to improve the program. The commitment, flexibility and perseverance of the ADFHT staff has helped them to overcome many hurdles and have allowed the program to become a success.
We hope that through sharing our lessons learned, we can both inspire and assist other teams to transition to a virtual delivery mechanism for similar programs.
- Dani Emon, Registered Practical Nurse, Arnprior & District Family Health Team
- Danielle Hill, Registered Respiratory Therapist, CRE, SFIC, TEACH, Arnprior & District Family Health Team
- Kristy Webb, Registered Dietitian, Arnprior & District Family Health Team